"jew"

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MyrtleDewDrops, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyrtleDewDrops

MyrtleDewDrops Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Creative
    definition of a "jew":
    A member of the people and cultural community whose traditional religion is Judaism and who trace their origins to the ancient Hebrew people of Israel.

now i just want to explain what a "jew" is to my understanding.
    i want to make it clear that a "jew" is NOT a religion nor a race!!

example: im a "jew" but im not religious...
    dose that mean im not a jew??
    wrong.
    there are thousands of jews that aren't religion but yet they are a jew and that is because a "jew" isn't a religion.

now to the race part...
    definition of race:
    a group, especially of people, with particular similar physicalcharacteristics, who are considered as belonging to the same type, or the fact of belonging to such a group

overall what i would is that say a "jew" is an
    ethnic group.

definition of ethnic group:
    pertaining to or characteristic of a people, especially a group (ethnicgroup) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language,or the like.

hope u learned something here.
    form the person u ALL love:
    Myrtle <3

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. anavelle

anavelle Member

Offline. Last seen on Hub
    I don't see the relevance of this thread, but Judaism isn't exactly an ethnicity. Yes, many of which who fall under the line of a "Jew" may not practice the religious beliefs and are still considered a "Jew" due to ancestry. But it is in fact a religion despite what the definition says because you are able to convert from Catholicism to Judaism and vice-versa. The reason why that point is a huge factor is because you are not able to convert your ethnicity as it follows under the line of your heritage and not your beliefs.

Your definition that you quoted doesn't actually even prove your statement. It even says a "Jew" is a member of a community whose primary religion is Judaism. In that definition it even sates that Judaism is a religion not an ethnicity.

Simply said, Judaism is a series of beliefs and not your actual cultural background which qualifies it as a religion. So being Jewish means that you follow and practice these cultural beliefs the reason why many people who are born into this religion and do not actually practice it's beliefs are still considered Jewish is because they are most likely not of legal age to convert religions yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MyrtleDewDrops

"jew" and "judaism" is two different things.
    "judaism" is the religion while a person that is a "jew" is apart of an ethnic groupe.

i was talking about a "jew" not "judaism" there is a difference. (as i mentioned above).

im a jew and i dont practice the religion (judaism). im a proud jew and will still be a jew even after im the legal age. just like thousands of others. so i dont understand that part too much.
    and being jewish dose not mean u follow and practice judaism.

i do want to reply to this small comment.
    im personally a jew, and i get this a lot whether is ill or from a staff member ect... that "jew" is a religion and or a race. so i did my research and what i found is that its neither (at least from what i understood) and put it up on the forums because i can and because i just wanted to.
    im allowed to post what ever i want (obesely if it obeys the cc rules which my thread dose).

thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kindoe

Kindoe Well-Known Member

Offline. Last seen on Towny
    This goes against everything I learned in theology class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Zinex

Zinex Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Survival
    You clearly don't know how to distinguish between Judaism and Jewish people. Although they both come from the word Judea they are two separate things and it is important to be able to differentiate between the two.
    Being a Jew means you're part of a specific ethnic group, whereas, Judaism is a religion. If you re-read Myrtle's thread (this time carefully), you'll find that no where did she mention Judaism... She was explaining what Jews are. You and anyone who rated your post "winner" or "like" are ignorant and you didn't read Myrtle's thread carefully enough.

It's rather comical because it's like someone explains what an apple is, and then someone else attempts to correct that person by explaining what a pineapple is just because they both contain the same sequence of letters somewhere is the word (apple).

Now most of what you said in your post was correct (although has nothing to do with what Myrtle said), but when I reached the end of your thread that's where I actually started laughing.
    "the reason why many people who are born into this religion and do not actually practice it's beliefs are still considered Jewish is because they are most likely not of legal age to convert religions yet."- what you just said is absolutely false. I don't know if you made this up or you were misinformed by one of your friends, but even when a Jew becomes of legal age and still doesn't practice Judaism, he is still considered a Jew. It's funny how you just write this with no prior research. I had no real problem with your thread until you said that ridiculously false statement. Jews are not necessarily religious, even if they're "of age".

Hopefully you and the children who rated positive feedback on your post learned something new today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. anavelle

anavelle Member

Offline. Last seen on Hub
    Addressing the point of separating Judaism and the Jewish people it's clear that you didn't even read your friend's post either because it did in fact bring up the term "Judaism". Their raw definition of a Jew is a being whose primary or traditional religion is Judaism. Thus, there is an evident connection between the Jewish people and the religion of Judaism. But since Myrtle is a Jewish person herself I'll take her word for it as I don't like to argue about religion nor race.

However pulling information out of my ass? You're partially correct, I have general knowledge of most topics and make concise assumptions based on prior knowledge with very little research. I admit my last statement about religious conversion was probably false because I made an assumption based on Myrtle's definition of what being "Jewish" was.

As I said previously I don't like arguing over race or religion and will take Myrtle's word for it as she is a Jewish individual.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MyrtleDewDrops

these are not my definitions...
    i wrote on google definition of...
    i looked it up and copied pasted it so u get the exact definition.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zinex

Zinex Active Member

I am Jewish as well therefore I probably know more about this topic than you do (I probably know more about anything than you do but that's besides the point).
    Yes. the word "Judaism" came up in the definition for Jew stating that it is their traditional reason. In no way does this mean that a Jew must be religious in order to be a Jew. Myrtle was explaining to people who don't know (much like yourself) what a Jew is, but for some reason you go on a rant about how Judaism is a religion even though it has nothing to do with what Myrtle was saying.
    You were talking nonsense. It's best for you now to leave this conversation silently before revealing more of your ignorance.

And your 'assumption' doesn't slide. Don't make assumptions in a factual argument, especially if they're as ridiculous as what you said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. labradorblue

labradorblue Active Member

Just gonna say that I agree with Myrtle and Zinex. Judaism and being Jewish/ a Jew are two different things. One of my friends is a Jew, but her religion is not Judaism, so therefor you can be Jewish but not have your religion as Judaism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kindoe

Kindoe Well-Known Member

Offline. Last seen on Towny
    When a person converts to Judaism, usually they identify as a Jew even though they may be from somewhere else. Why is this, considering that you can't change your ethnicity?

11. Bowzerrr

Bowzerrr Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Kitpvp
    I am disgusted by practising Jews. The castration of children is barbaric and there is simply no excuse to say "its tradition". The mutilation of a babies dick is just sickening. Did you guys know that when the baby is castrated the rabbi sucks on the babys dick.... im not even joking look it up. Apparently this is to stop the bleeding and has antibacterial properties.

I am all for people having faith but when it comes to mutilating babies, i have a problem with that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. astrinka95

astrinka95 Member

Bet you're into that sort of thing though ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. iminer

iminer Active Member

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.