Helpers can see players IPs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Angry_Squid, Mar 2, 2018.

?

Should helpers be allowed to see players IPs?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

55.6%
  3. Maybe so

22.2%
  1. Angry_Squid

Angry_Squid Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Survival
    I recently found that helpers can see players IP addresses. I find this discomforting because helpers don't need to see players IP addresses and IPs contain personal information. With an IP, anyone can easily find someone's general irl location and a smarter person would probably be able to find out even more personal information.
    The reason staff might need to see someone's IP would be to stop a player from ban bypassing by using alts but I'm sure there's way to IP ban and detect ban bypassing without seeing a players IP, or just have helpers message admins to IP ban a player, although with the player base of cowcraft being so small IP banning will rarely be needed.
    I know that most staff are trustworthy, but there's no reason for them to need to see players IPs. I assumed admins can see IPs, and I'm ok with that because there's only a handful of admins, but there's tons of helpers. I like to keep my irl information anonymous and many other players feel the same way which is why people don't publicly disclose their location, but players IPs do show their location and that's a scary thought, especially with so many helpers. There's no reason that helpers need to see a players IP but they can.
    For example, if a helper had malicious intent and a the intelligence to do so they could collect the IPs of all 113,757 players who've ever joined cowcraft, then they could find all those players IRL locations and DOX them by DMing all the players in the discord server the collected personal information, or they could just get the information of all the players who've played skyblock and factions. This is a hypothetical scenario, but it come true to easily.
    You might trust all the players who are helpers, and you might trust that all the players who ever will get helper are trustworthy and won't misuse their position, but they wouldn't even have to get helper to see player IPs. Anyone smart enough could just hack one of the many helpers accounts, I doubt they all have great passwords.
    I know this isn't very well written but my point is that, because helpers can see IPs, anyone decently smart with malicious intent could all too easily collect personal information about the players and staff members of cowcraft.
    To help keep players private information private I suggest that only Admins should be allowed to see players IPs.

• OOF OOF x 3
  2. Edy

Edy
    Owner Administrator

Online on Hub
    You're being way too paranoid and dramatic. You can't just dox user from IP alone, all you're able to do is find the city user lives in and even that can be inaccurate most of the time. For a helper to be able to collect 113,757 IPs, they would have to execute command 113,757 times and write down the IP each time. Command which shows IP isn't meant just for showing IP only, it shows all information about your record such as bans, mutes, warnings and so on. What I am trying to say is showing IP related info wasn't intentional.

Helpers have had access to this information for years, never have I had an issue related to this. Hacking staff's account is nearly impossible, every staff member is forced to use 2factor protection. If you were able to obtain email and password, you would still need access to their phone to get the randomly generated code in order to login.

That being said, permissions for seeing IP related information has been removed from helpers and mods.

• Like Like x 1
    • OOF OOF x 1
  3. Angry_Squid

Angry_Squid Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Survival
    I meant DOXing as in releasing any personal info, such as their city. I guess if a player knows another player's city it's not that bad but it's still personal information.
    About the executing a command 113,757 times players could create a macro to execute the command and collect the information without too much difficulty if they know how, I've done similar, although more innocent things on other servers so I know that it's possible.
    I realize this was a bit paranoid of me but anyways, thanks.

#3 Angry_Squid, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. Edy

Edy
    Owner Administrator

Online on Hub
    Even if helper was to collect all of IP addresses, it would be no use. IP can be easily changed by simply restarting your router. ISP gives you a random IP once router is reconnected. You're not being a bit paranoid, more like extremely paranoid. No staff member has ever misused this kind of information in history of cowcraft. Either way, they won't be able to access IP related info anymore.