Factions

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SavageASF, Oct 23, 2017.

1. SavageASF

SavageASF Member

Offline. Last seen on Hub
    Wondering when factions will be released. Seems like the network is being neglected.
    Factions would make the server 100% bigger and everyone has been waiting. Edy told me September and its been 2 months already. Im just wondering when will this happen.

2. Xenoxidation

Administrator

Offline. Last seen on Kitpvp
    Just to be completely clear with the community, we are not working on factions at the moment. Edy is currently busy with school. However, I will update the forums with a post if we start working on factions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. earlobe2

earlobe2 Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Survival
    Whole server is dead sorry to say. Any server, let alone a struggling one will never go well if the owner is away for 10 months every year with school. Not saying Edy shouldnt be at school #educationisthemajorkey but don't have your hopes up for anything anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Edy

Edy
    Owner Administrator

My exams are in the next month, after exams I will be working on factions. At this point I don't care if there's 10 players on factions launch. Reason I haven't shut down CowCraft yet is mainly because of nostalgia. CowCraft will not shut down for the foreseeable future, it may go into "viewing" only mode at some point in future.

"Viewing" only mode means users would be able to join server and walk around. Any interactions causing high resource usage would be disabled, such as breaking blocks. Whole point of this is to keep CowCraft online while running on a very cheap server.
    This would only happen if there isn't enough players after factions launch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I0wnu4life

I0wnu4life Member

@Edy The only reason there aren't any "new" players is that there is a large lack of advertisement. This is most likely due to lack of funding as well.

Also, if you're going to be at school I'd allow someone else to have access to the server files (basically owner) while you are away. That's the only way this server is going to get any type of improvement.

6. Leaxvx

Administrator

Eventuallyyyy ;)

7. Edy

Edy
    Owner Administrator

I have mentioned this in past. Anyone who actually understands how server works, has a job, school or no longer interested in minecraft. I wouldn't trust someone else to run server without linux or docker experience.

8. I0wnu4life

I0wnu4life Member

And none of your old/current devs know anything about linux or docker?

9. Edy

Edy
    Owner Administrator

All of the devs I know are busy with actual job, school or no longer are interested in minecraft. Also, you don't need to be a developer to run servers. My definition of a developer is someone who can write code in java or similar. It seems like a lot of other servers call anyone "developer" as long as the person can run server and configure plugins, which is where confusion comes from I think.

The only time developers are used is when something custom needs to be coded, everything else is done by me. Anyways, anyone who I trust are busy with something else. Minecraft isn't what it was before which is why it's way less attractive to get into it. Our servers and permissions are setup in a pretty complex way to give us more flexibility. So someone with little to none experience would have a hard time learning all the little things we do differently. Which is why I don't want to give someone access with no experience.

I do realize how frustrating it can be when I am so inconsistent with updates to the server. The good news is I will be fixing and updating all of servers after exams. Factions is also planned to launch.

10. I0wnu4life

I0wnu4life Member

@Edy The thing I found quite frustrating was when you said you were thinking about setting the entire server into GameMode 3, or Spectator mode. This is 110% a bad idea. The reason is that you'll be putting energy/money into the server and not get anything out of it, but I guess that's whats happening right now, besides the few donations here and there.

The only solution I see is simple, give someone the power to control the server and all of its entirety. I'd think that your Head-Admins or Senior Mods or whatever have the ability to add/remove things from the active servers. There are a bunch of things you can consider to keep CowCraft up-and-running, the only issue is, will you be willing to do it. These options might not be in your best interest, and you will probably dismiss all of them, but there is still hope for CowCraft, but the steps you need to take will be tough. I'm willing to elaborate when I have your FULL attention, preferably on Discord. You can find me @ I0wnu4life#7055

11. Kindoe

Kindoe Well-Known Member

Offline. Last seen on Towny

12. SavageASF

SavageASF Member

Let me own it kek.

I got linux experience.

13. SavageASF

SavageASF Member

I know all the basics of installing an OS.

I know all the basic commands of Ubuntu & Centos.
    I have a lot of experience owning a server. I have run my own for over a year now & have done well financially and player base wise.
    I have money & a good host that can help the server stay alive. I'm also willing to pay for a dedicated server from OVH and help run it.

Consider me please edy.

#13 SavageASF, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. earlobe2

earlobe2 Active Member

lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. _Lifes

_Lifes New Member

Offline. Last seen on Creative
    @Edy can you at least get rid of "survival patch coming out next weekend" or whatever it is.