Change Is Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Antheia, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Antheia

Antheia New Member

Offline. Last seen on Creative
    Hi everyone! As some of you may know, I have been here for around 3-4 years and love CowCraft. I have watched the server grow and become a very close-knit community. I, like many of you, would hate to see it die. I have talked to many of you and asked for your opinion on what is happening to the server. Everyone I talked to came to the same conclusion: it needs some drastic changes. Sadly, many of us are standing by watching the server slowly die, but I hope by bringing much-needed attention to the issue that I can help fix some issues.

I want to start by mentioning how much I respect Edy for all the hard work and time he has put into making CowCraft great. It has been many long years, and he stayed dedicated to making the server the best he could. When I first joined CowCraft, Edy made a huge impact on me as a new player. He was extremely helpful to all the players and always interacted with the CowCraft community. But, as many of you know, Edy has become much busier in the past year and has many commitments outside of Minecraft. Unfortunately, without Edy's attention CowCraft is suffering. I have asked many people and most agree that it would be best for CowCraft to have a new owner or a temporary owner who would be really dedicated and be willing to devote their time to improve the server while Edy is busy. I am afraid if things keep going like they are currently, soon the server will completely die and have no chance of a revival. Edy is an awesome owner and a great person, but let's face it, he is too busy now to give CowCraft the attention it needs. He is still trying his best to help CowCraft, but he just has other things to do that may be more important.

This is just a suggestion, but I really hope it is seriously considered before CowCraft runs out of time. I and many other players believe there is still a lot of hope for CowCraft. I do not want to keep waiting around for a miracle when I do not think one is going to happen. I hope Edy and all other staff will do what is best for the server. Thank you so much to everyone who is trying to help the server before it is too late. :) If you have any other suggestions that could help revive the server please comment them!

2. methsicle

methsicle Member

Offline. Last seen on Hub
    servers fucked

3. Antheia

Antheia New Member

Basically what I'm saying more or less if nothing happens soon :(

4. Kindoe

Kindoe Well-Known Member

I think the reason he hasn't already done this is due to trust. All the people I've seen that have a close bond with him are just as busy as he is. He doesn't want to just let someone else take over everything he's done, even if it could help the server.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Antheia

Antheia New Member

Yeah I understand what you are saying. Maybe if he realizes that he might not have time for the server even in the long run then he could possibly sell it to someone who wants to buy it and at least make something for everything he did. If he does not want to let go of it permanently then honestly we are kind of doomed because like you said, everyone he could trust to temporarily own the server is as busy as he is.

6. Angry_Squid

Angry_Squid Active Member

Offline. Last seen on Survival
    Most people either aren't qualified or interested in running a Minecraft server. It's a ton of work, a long term responsibility, not very profitable, and requires at least a little skill with bungee and other computer stuff. Also, servers also need developers which can be expensive or devs can volunteer but they're probably less experienced and less motivated.
    If he did find a good co-owner, assuming it wouldn't be a purely trust based, they would probably need to do a bunch of paperwork and legal stuff which would cost money and no one wants to spend money.

7. Antheia

Antheia New Member

So I guess this may not be a viable solution for the server? Honestly owners do not do much other than rake in the cash once the server gets going, but right now there is no cash to rake in because the server is dying. Devs do a lot of the work but most either cost a crap ton or are lazy like you said. I was hoping maybe with a new owner, staff would feel more compelled to actually do their job well or there would be actual consequences. A new owner could possibly look through and see which staff or people are not doing their job and basically demote them. There is a lot of things that could happen with a new owner but the way it is right now, I agree, there probably will not be one. :(

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Kindoe

Kindoe Well-Known Member

Just going to point out that this is far from true.

• Like Like x 2
  9. labradorblue

labradorblue Active Member

I have a friend who used to own a server and I went to her house. All we did at her house was check out CowCraft and manage her server. So owners (and staff members) do a heap more than 'rake in the money'. They pay money, manage bans, manage staff applications and manage all the plugins and issues with the server. My friend also spent a lot of time helping new players and building stuff for her server.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Angry_Squid

Oftentimes, depending on the size of the server, staff members other than the owner do most of the application work and building. Other staff also usually manage bans and help new players.
    Also, to add on to what you've said, owners often are one of the main developers for their server.

11. Antheia

Antheia New Member

Maybe it is only on big servers. My brother has been admin on many big servers and that is what he has experienced. Staff do most the work and the owner doesn't do much. All 3 owners he worked for were super lazy and basically left the work for the staff. Obviously this does not apply to all servers so I guess I made a bit of a generalization. This really has nothing to do with CowCraft because it is not the situation Edy is in. Or maybe new staff members that are willing to work hard to fix the server and be active are needed.
    Well she sounds like a great owner, but most owners do not have all day to manage their server and that is why staff members end up doing a lot of the work. Owners obviously do more than "rake in the money" I do not mean they ONLY do that, but what I mean is that there are a lot of other people like the devs and staff that put in a lot of work towards the server. Maybe those are the people that can really make the difference.

12. evanjsheppard

evanjsheppard Well-Known Member

I want to be staff even more so I can help keep the server from sinking, but

13. labradorblue

The staff are perfectly fine. Maybe we just need some newer staff members( I know that I will apply as soon as I turn 14).

14. Angry_Squid

In my experience most applications are too short so try to avoid that by elaborating and generally give long responses but don't be too repetitive.
    Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Antheia

Antheia New Member

I think the staff used to be perfectly fine, but now most of them don't even come on anymore or haven't been on in a month, two months, etc. It wouldn't bother me that they aren't that active if the server wasn't dying. Right now the server needs all the help it can get. I understand life is very busy though and many current staff members are busy with school. Maybe some new staff members would be nice, hopefully some very active ones.

16. iplayMCtoraid

iplayMCtoraid Active Member

Cowcraft isn't the only one having player and view loss and such, In my eyes they need to rework it to just plain and simple not something new that seems to give a edge into the server given stuff. Price hikes of the ranks are not helping the player base to what i'm seeing so, I do not see the server coming back from such a drastic change and everything that has happened with the server. Hate to see it die but its the way it is.

17. labradorblue

I am seeing 40+ people on at times! Is this a sign that people are coming back? Or is it just because it's Saturday for pretty much everyone but me?

18. Kyzix

Kyzix Member

I wish I had one more chance for a application but sadly, me being the stupid person that I am, used all of my applications up. haha ;-;